Friday 24 August 2012

Day 16: Back at Coast General

**Disclaimer** Graphic Pictures!

After an amazing safari and break from the hospital, we were all eager to get back to Coast General. Right away in the morning we headed up to Major Theatre, where all of the surgeries take place. There are four operating rooms – all containing the bare minimum. The surgery we observed was a 15 month old boy with hypospadias. Hypospadias is a birth defect in the male urethra in which the opening is abnormally placed. This wasnt a very servere case, but the doctor began tediously cutting and suturing. I can’t imagine how hard it was operating on such a small area! But the surgery went well with no complications – other than the cautery machine not working. And quite frankly, I was impressed the hospital even owned one to begin with.

 

After that procedure, we went back down to good old minor and casualty. In minor we did a lot of dressing changes, and I saw one of the worst wounds since I’ve been here. A man was at work when an iron sheet fell and cut his foot. Since he couldn’t afford to go to the hospital, he ignored the cut and kept working. After some time, the foot became severely infected and as of now, there are two spots the size of my hand where no skin remains. The pits were about a half an inch deep and covered in puss and infected flesh. The only treatment he can afford is debridement and redressing, so that’s what we did, and prescribed some antibiotics. Let’s just say this was one case where I wish I didn’t have a sense of smell!


After minor I wondered over to casualty where I found Dr. Abdul Hussein. He is another physician, originally from Russia, who has been very helpful to us students. The first patient I examined with him was a “mob justice” victim. Basically, this man had stolen from someone, and in Kenya, the punishment includes being nearly beaten to death by the people in the streets. When Dr. Hussein explained this to me, and after I saw this man’s condition, I nearly threw up. This is just one of the corrupt aspects of Africa. Anyway, police eventually break up the fight and bring the victims to the hospital – but even they show the victims no mercy. This man was severely beaten and the cops threw him around and slapped him in the face when he was unable to move. I cringed every time. The victim ended up having a cracked skull, broken wrist, and exposed bones from deep gashes. I was even able to feel this man’s malleolus (ankle bone). There were obviously internal wounds and bleeding, but since the man couldn’t afford an ultrasound, Dr. Hussein took a syringe and stuck it straight down into the man’s abdomen and aspirated the syringe to see if any blood was present. It’s quite gruesome to say the least. Upon completion of the examination, the patient was to be sent for X-rays and then to minor for suturing. Dr. Hussein asked that I do the sutures, but after nearly 2 hours later, the patient had yet to have X-rays, and was near death when my shift was over. No matter how long you nag the nurses and doctors, nothing is done in an urgent fashion – even if a life is on the line.

The next patient I actually diagnosed on my own, and Dr. Hussein was very impressed – even gave me a high five! J The elderly woman had a mass in her right atrium which was blocking the blood flow to the rest of her heart and body. Since the heart is a muscle, and it was in overtime trying to compensate for the lack of blood supply, the woman developed cardiomegaly, or enlargement of the heart.  This was all previously diagnosed, but today the woman came in complaining of severe pain in her legs. They were severely swollen due to a lack of circulation and buildup of fluid, and her upper thigh was very tender, red and inflamed. The diagnosis was edema and cellulitis.

It was a very stressful, gut retching, and educational day. A lot of mixed emotions, that’s for sure, but its days like this that make me more appreciative of the small things. And more eager than ever to be a compassionate and empathetic physician someday.

Much love from Kenya!

No comments:

Post a Comment