Friday 10 August 2012

Day 4: Breakfast of Champions

After a rough night of sleep, I woke up only to indulge myself in the breakfast of champions – Pepto-Bismol. I think Germany and Africa have finally caught up with me. I planned on working in minor theater where they mainly do suturing, catheter changing, and dressing changes, but there were already 6 others going there, so I decided to stay home and rest rather than going in for the morning shift. I finally woke up again around noon and was feeling a little better but spent the rest of the afternoon reading by the pool. It was a well needed peaceful day after such a stressful night.

At 9 pm, I and 5 others went in for another night shift – my third in a row. Each time I return, I keep hoping things are going to be running more smoothly than the night before, but I’m starting to realize it’s wishful thinking. Tonight was chaotic as usual. The first patient we saw was a 60 year old man that looked as if he was 107. A month ago he was diagnosed with Malaria. Three weeks ago he was diagnosed with Typhoid fever. Two weeks ago he came into casualty because he had a low blood count. It’s been downhill ever since. Seeing that this patient was severely ill, the staff merely shoved him to the way side. His son said he brought his father in at 6 pm and over 3 hours later had yet to see a physician. We started an IV, basically the only thing we can do, and when we left at 1am, no doctor had visited him yet. We also saw a hemophiliac patient with a cut on his upper lip that wouldn’t coagulate, a rape victim, two babies with pneumonia, and several other patients who were all involved in a 45 person bus accident.

I finally had my fill in casualty so I moseyed on over to minor theater where a young boy came in with an inch long gash in his head – which exposed his skull bone. Suturing. Finally something I can handle and a wound I can fix! The boy was leery of us, but we gave him some smarties and won him over immediately. After a couple stitches and some bandaging, he was off! It was a great way to end the evening.

When we leave the hospital there is usually one tuktuk waiting outside. Since its late and they’re the only one around, they always think they can get away with steeper prices! But not tonight. We stood our ground and eventually walked away…hoping of course he would follow us and give in to our bargain. That didn’t happen. We walked nearly 5 blocks before we ran into another tuktuk. And did I mention it started to pour as soon as we walked away? Karma.

Anyway, we finally made it home safely – and at the price we wanted to pay! Tomorrow morning I’ve decided to go to another orphanage and in the afternoon we’re going to an alligator farm – better watch for me on animal planet! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment